Thursday, January 27, 2011

Learning a language

It's never easy to learn a new language.

I love languages, but as I mentioned before, Inuktitut is so very different from any other language I've learned. According to everything I've read, the Inuit languages are related to eachother throughout the circumpolar region, but they don't resemble any other language groups- They seem to have developed independantly. The grammar is quite unique in my experience, and there are a lot of unfamiliar sounds to try and produce.

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to learn nearly enough before I leave, since I am up to my ears in a wonderful practicum here too, but I have found a great website where you can listen to the Inuktitut language and learn some of the grammar...

http://www.tusaalanga.ca/

I'm hoping to spend at least a little time on this website before I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment