Monday, March 14, 2011

Uqalurait

In less than a week I will be heading into the great unknown. Some friends gave me a book to read while I'm in Cape Dorset and the title caught my imagination... It's called "Uqalurait", which is apparently the Inuit word for tiny patterns that form in the snow when the wind blows. If you know enough about them, they will tell you which way to go to find shelter.

In a land with no trees to guide you, being able to read these patterns is a crucial life skill. The book is a collection of transcribed stories from Inuit elders that talk about traditional knowledge. I am hoping to get a small understanding of the culture and way of life by reading it.

Meanwhile, I feel as if I am heading into another world... I am used to being a fairly competant person, but in this world I know nothing.

2 comments:

  1. a link to copy & paste:

    http://www.isuma.tv/hi/en/inuit-knowledge-and-climate-change/uqalurait-snow-speaking

    ReplyDelete